The most popular Maharashtrian breakfast recipe is here! You can cook delicious poha instantly: Poha (Flattened rice) is an easy to cook and yummy to taste snack which can be savored at all times. This sweet and salty snack is loved by people all over Mumbai and by people of all age group.
Servings-4 | Prep time-20 mins | Total time-30 mins
Poha (flattened rice) / 2-3 cups
Onions / 4
Raw peanuts / 5-6
Green chilies / 5-6
Scraped fresh coconut /Half cup
Lemon / 1
Cilantro / Half cup
Oil / 2-3 Tbsp
Cumin seeds / 1Tsp
Mustard seeds / 1 Tsp
Asafetida / Half Tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder / Half Tsp
Curry leaves / 7-8
Sugar / 2 Tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash Poha gently under cold running water. Drain off all the water and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, finely chop onions, green chilies and cilantro. Cut the lemon into two halves.
- After the poha is well soaked, take a wok (kadhai) and heat about 2-3 Tbsp oil.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves and peanuts. Fry the peanuts until golden brown.
- Add green chilies and onions. Sauté till the onion turns translucent. Add half to 1 Tsp turmeric powder and asafetida. Mix well.
- Add soaked Poha a little at a time and mix simultaneously.
- All salt and sugar according to taste. Cover the wok with a lid and let the Poha cook for 5-7 mins.
- Squeeze lemon juice and mix well. Garnish it with finely chopped cilantro and fresh scraped coconut.
- Serve hot.