Parenting is a very big subject. Ever parent has a distinct way of nurturing their child and therefore, this colossally wide topic is hard to conclude within just a few categories of parenting. Still, years and years of studies and research have led to the establishment of four main styles of parenting which you will learn below. Although researchers do not guarantee that you will abide by a suitable category fully, they believe that you will be able to relate to its form. In this article, you will be able to study about yourself as a parent and by the end of it will also be equipped with substantial information if your parenting style needs an alteration, change or a new adaptation.
Who are these?
Authoritative parents are slightly similar to the authoritarians but the difference is that they are flexible. They do set the limits for child’s acceptable behavior but also make it a point to convey the reasons as to why they are doing so. This parenting style is more democratic and has room for child’s feelings while setting boundaries. These parents prize the good conduct of the child but at the same time consequence the bad behaviors.
- Children tend to be happy and joyous under this parenting style.
- Children grow up as responsible kids as there is enough room for proper communication
- They become responsible decision makers and are smart at assessing risks and safety factors.
- This parenting style demands tons of energy and time
- Striking a balance all the time becomes difficult
- If anything goes wrong, a feeling of guilt pertains
Note: This form of parenting is considered as the most effective and balanced.
Who are these?
Authoritarian parents are those parents who are strict and want accepted obedience from their kids. They set rules and regulations and make it a point that the kids stick to them unquestionably. Such parents take full authority of the rights and wrongs in the lives of their children without their propositions. They cannot tolerate any sort of argument from their child and make it a point that the child follows what they like.
- Discipline and self-motivation will become the child’s strong points
- The child will be known to his stand, his limits and what you expectout of them.
- The child will not face trouble following the rules and will be equipped with clarity and perspective.
- Lack of communication can eat away the affection between the parent and the child.
- The strict rules and patterns can make them rebellious and secretive as they grow up.
- Chances of suppressed anger, emotional dependence and self-esteem problems may arise.
Note- This type of parenting is considered as one of the most ineffective forms of bringing up a child.
Who are these?
Permissive parents are those parents who are lenient and extremely tolerant. They do not enforce any rules and regulations in molding their child a certain way. They believe that discipline and obeying strict rules is not the base of nurturing a child. Rather enforcing restraining instructions and guideline, such parents befriend their children.
- The parent and child bond with each other in the most spectacular manner
- Kids never complain and love these parents to the moon and back
- Feeling of overwhelming affection is fostered between the two parties
- Children tend to develop an irresponsible attitude take things for granted
- The child faces adjustment problems in his adulthood when exposed to rules and regulations
- The child may display communicative problems and might struggle scholastically
Note: This style is fun and relaxed but not always considered an adept form of parenting.
Who are these?
Uninvolved parents are those parents who follow a detached approach in bringing up their children. They do not take any affectionate practices and expects the child to raise themselves. They will just fulfil some very basic needs and leave the child to be on their own.
- This parenting style makes the child independent and self-reliant
- The child will learn to take care of himself at a very early stage
- Without guidance, the child may become lost and confused
- This style raises unloved children with psychologically impacted behaviours
Note: This is often not even considered parenting at all.
Recommendations For You: