During the initial days of pregnancy, the body secretes a high level of hormones viz. progesterone and estrogen. These hormones induces the relaxation of the smooth muscles inside the body including that of the digestive system causing the digestive system to slow down and that causes bloating and indigestion problems and that is usually after a big meal. Acidity is another common problem that you might suffer from.
Can these harm my baby?
Indigestion can be annoying to you but it would not harm your baby.
It is not really possible to avoid indigestion completely when you are pregnant. However, you can try the following to reduce the severity and intensity of the symptoms:
- Avoid wear tight clothes around your waist and tummy and always wear comfortable and loose clothes.
- Avoid big meals and instead eat several small meals all throughout the day. Chew your food well and take time to complete your meals. Carry some healthy snacks like nuts, fruits and wholegrain biscuits to work.
- It is very important that your body stays hydrated and hence, drink a lot of water all throughout the day. You can also consume buttermilk, coconut water and fruit juices to enhance your fluid intake.
- Caffeine contained drinks like tea and coffee should be reduced as these cause heartburn and make its symptoms worse. It also prevents the body from absorbing iron from food.
- Alcohol, fizzy drinks, processed meat, spicy dishes, fried and fatty food should be avoided at any means as these can cause more indigestion problems. Vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and asparagus should also be avoided as these cause gas in the stomach and aids ingestion.
- It is very important that you eat a balanced diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables.
- There is a great home remedy that you can try out as it is very effective. Dry roast fennel (saunf), carom seeds (ajwain) and fenugreek seeds (methi dana) and grind them together to make a powder. Now take a teaspoon of this dry mixture and mix it with a little water and have it to get rid of the symptoms of indigestion.
- You also need to say goodbye to smoking and this is something that you need to do before you get pregnant for the sake of your baby’s health and your own health as well.
- You can also try bending at the knees to avoid heartburn. Do not bend at the waist.
- There should be at least 30 minutes gap between your meal and sleeping time. Also prop up your upper body with 2-3 pillows while sleeping.
- Avoid stress and make use of meditation and other relaxing techniques to keep your mind calm and stay stress-free.
- Exercise and practice yoga to maintain your weight as too much weight can cause indigestion as well. Stay fit and healthy and consult a yoga instructor for help.
All these would help keep indigestion under control and if you are still experiencing it, consult your doctor today.