Every one of us in our hearts craves for long, lustrous, shiny hair but not all of us are blessed naturally. To top it our hair is constantly subjected to external factors which are quite harmful for our hair. Nowadays we can go for expensive hair treatments such as straitening, rebonding etc. which help us achieve those super cool tresses. The latest fad in the hair industry is keratin hair treatment which promises to deliver silky, smooth hair. But before you take the plunge, it is important that you know what exactly it is and whether it delivers on its promise.
What is it?
The number of chemical treatments that we undergo on our hair has a deleterious effect on it causing it to lose its natural sheen. Hair robbed of its sheen takes on a rough and frizzy look. What keratin treatment does is restore the natural sheen back in the hair thus making it soft and manageable. Keratin treatment is recommended only for hair that has been excessively tampered with and subjected to extreme chemical treatments. If your hair has been colored recently, you can opt for keratin treatment as it involves lifting off the cuticles. Hair experts however warn against using a keratin formula that contains formaldehyde. Instead you can go for the cysteine formula which is quite safe and will do an effective job in restoring the sheen back.
Is it a Long-term Solution?
Keratin treatment doesn’t have any long-term effect but for the time it remains, it gives the hair a healthy look. You need to go for this treatment every 3-4 months. People who lead a fast paced life and have no time to invest in their hair maintenance are apt for this treatment. When undergoing this treatment you have to make sure that the shampoo you are using doesn’t contain sodium sulfides. Also before going for this treatment, you need to make sure that your scalp and hair are in good condition and you have no major scalp disorders.
Guide for healthy Hair
Taking proper care of our hair and scalp can prevent damage in the first place. Thus it is advisable that we take some time off from our hectic schedules and devote some time to the proper care of our hair. Certain pointers in this direction can prove extremely helpful.
- Regularly going for hot oil massages is a great way to improve the blood circulation leading to healthy hair.
- When going for a swim always wear a cap as the chlorine water can be very damaging for your hair.
- Trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to restore growth.
- Use hair products that suit your hair and scalp type.
- Consuming protein rich foods and foods rich in antioxidants such as eggs, leafy greens and fruits are very beneficial for our hair.
- Going for a hair spa once a month will provide sufficient nourishment to your hair.
- Exercising regularly, apart from keeping you fit will keep your hair in good condition.