This is a gravy-like dish made using pumpkins and dal. Other vegetables like chow-chow, snake-gourd, cabbage, carrots etc can also be cooked this way. Normally, a traditional south indian meal will definitely include one dry curry and one kootu.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Makes 4 servings
To Be Ground Into A Smooth Paste (makes Approx. 3/4 Cup)
3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
4 green chillies , broken into pieces
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 cup of water
2 1/2 cups chopped red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu)
1/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil or any other refined oil
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta) for the garnish
- Combine the pumpkin, moong dal, 2 cups of water and salt in a deep pan, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame till cooked (for approx. 10 to 12 minutes), stirring once in between.
- Add the prepared paste, mix gently and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or till the mixture becomes semi dry.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the curry and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with curry leaves.
By Tarla Dalal & tarladalal.com
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOU: