Makes 4 servings
3 cups roughly chopped green tomatoes
1 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies , roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the tomatoes, coconut and green chillies along with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Once completely cooled blend along with 1 cup of water in a blender till smooth.
- Strain the mixer in a deep bowl using a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and the curry leaves and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato-coconut purée, sugar, salt and coriander and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot.
By tarladalal.com & Tarla Dalal