Winter is in and so is its negative side. Dandruff, for instance. A common problem but definitely not a pleasant one. Those white flaky substance relaxing on either our head or slipping down onto our shoulders are really disturbing to look at. Besides, it causes itchiness which is yet another problem. Dandruff is the shedding of the dead skin cells from the scalp. Some people have it all year round but for most of us, it worsens during the winter season. Dandruff is caused by a combination of three natural triggers. One, fungus that lives on everyone’s scalp. Two, the presence of scalp oils. Three, exposure to harsh climatic conditions. Stress is another phenomenon. Shampooing hair frequently minimizes the amount of dandruff but increases the rate of hair fall. Here’s a list of hair care tips which will certainly make those irritating white flakes go to sleep.
- Aloe Vera works best for all skin and hair problems. Squeeze some aloe Vera gel directly form an aloe Vera leaf and apply it directly on your scalp. Massage gently. You can use an aloe Vera gel too.
- Massaging your scalp and hair with warm coconut or baby oil and leaving it overnight will give a good result and moisture your hair too. Do not forget to wash your hair thoroughly with a mild shampoo in the morning.
- Give your head a yoghurt treatment. In a bowl, add a tsp of lime juice, one tsp mustard oil to one cup yoghurt. Apply this mixture to the scalp and let it rest for one hour. Then thoroughly wash the head and hair.
- Gently comb or brush your hair after shampooing to evenly massage the natural oils of your hair throughout your scalp.
- Take vinegar and water in equal amounts. Mix them well and apply it on your hair. Leave it overnight and wash it in the morning with a mild shampoo.
- Baking soda is an amazing cleansing agent, be it for skin, hair or teeth. Mix one tsp of baking soda and your shampoo. Wash your hair with it, lather and rinse. All the dandruff will be washed out.
- Hairstyling products are frequently responsible for bad hair. Avoid using hair gel, straightener, blow dryer and such similar hair styling products as much as you can.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil and massage your scalp with it. Wash off with warm water after an hour of the application. Later, wash your hair with a shampoo.
Before shampooing, sprinkle some table salt on your dry scalp and massage it evenly throughout. After the dandruff comes tumbling down, step into a shower.
- Crush two tablets of aspirin into a fine powder and mix it with your shampoo. Wash your hair with this mixture and leave it onto your scalp for a minute. Rinse it well and wash again with normal shampoo.
- The acidity of apple cider vinegar changes the pH of your scalp, making it harder for yeast to grow. Mix a quarter cup apple cider vinegar with a quarter cup water in a spray bottle and spritz on your scalp. Wrap your head in a towel and let sit for 15 minutes to an hour, then wash your hair as usual.
- How can we forget the healing properties of lemon? Massage two tablespoons of lemon on your scalp and rinse with water. Then mix one teaspoon of lemon juice in one cup of water and rinse your hair with it. Carry out this activity daily till you see the results.
- Before washing your hair, rub crushed garlic in your scalp. Garlic’s anti-fungal properties are perfect for eliminating dandruff-causing bacteria
Improper diet may also be the reason for unhealthy hair. Include zinc rich food in your diet like oysters, canned fish, hard cheese, eggs, organic meat and champagne. Zinc is so vital for hair growth that without it hair growth will stop completely. Give yourself at least six hours of sleep and exercise regularly. Also, eat vitamin B rich food such as eggs and fish.