Mediterranean diet is famous for its heart-healthy nature. The Mediterranean diet incorporates all the nitty-gritties of healthy cooking styles and traditional cooking flairs of countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.
A Mediterranean diet underscores eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts. It emphasizes on replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil and using herbs and spices instead of salt to essence the foods. Some researchers have also proven that a Mediterranean diet is the healthiest diet in the world.
Here are 12 diet tricks that will help you stay healthy-
- UseOliveOil– Replace olive oil in place of all other cooking oil and butter. The traditional Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of heart diseases. The diet has been associated with the advantages of a lower level of cholesterol.
- Eat Tomatoes– Tomatoes are over-loaded with anti-oxidants and Vitamin C. Eat tomatoes every day to your salads, soups and even pastas.
- Use Garlic– Garlic is great for keeping hearts healthy. Use it while cooking as it is also great in adding flavor to curries.
- Eat plenty of Fruits– Med diet promotes eating lots of healthy fruits such as apples, oranges and pears. Replace your evening deserts with these deserts to lose weight.
- Choose Low-Fat– Med diets suggest that you should choose fats that are naturally low and calcium rich. Replace cheese with naturally low healthy fats in your sandwiches and salads.
- Eat Fish-Fish like Salmon and Sardines are great sources of Omega-3 fats. Replace your red meat with these fishes at least once a week to maximize your heart protection.
- Eat Veggies– Vegetables are your savior if you are trying to lose weight. Eat veggies all day, not just in one meal. Recipes like veggie salads and spinach omelets are great to start your day.
- Replace white rice- Replace white rice with whole grains. Unlike white rice, whole grains don’t trigger an unhealthy spike in blood sugar.
- Beans and Pulses-Consume beans and pulses in your everyday soups and salads as it will help you lower your cholesterol.
- Red Wine– a Mediterranean diet is incomplete without red wine. Enjoy a small glass of red wine during your meals, 3-4 times a week. Red wine has anti-ageing and heart boosting benefits that will help you be healthy.
- Nuts– Nuts are magical. Replace your unhealthy junk snacks with unsalted nuts. Stop having cakes, crisps and biscuits and replace these with nuts like almonds and apricots.
- Yoghurt– Yoghurts are packed with calcium and healthy proteins. Yoghurts are also great digestion boosters. Include them in your diet to enjoy its benefits.
Eating like a Mediterranean is as much about a lifestyle as it is a diet. Mediterranean’s believe in enjoying every bite of their meal and they make sure they eat with their family and friends chit-chatting instead of staying glued to the television sets. A research has proven that dining this way can help you reduce the amount of food you eat and ensure portion control. So don’t gobble your food in front of TV and make it to the table with your loved ones. Real happiness is a key to a healthier life.