We have just witnessed our 67th republic day and the feeling is awesome as always! Republic day is a huge celebration of the founding and implementation of the great Indian constitution. India’s constitution is believed to be one of the best constitutions written for a large democracy that imbibes its various cultures and religions! India, the land of ‘unity in diversity’, has a constitution that is also acknowledged as the longest hand written constitution ever, for any country.
India believes in equality for all. For example, women in India have been given special attention, opportunities and perks. Women in Indian constitution have been given the respect they deserve and a raising importance as nation members.
There’s a lot about constitution that seems to be unknown because a common indian citizen fails to investigate about the legal procedures and citizen rights. The most important is about having the right to be informed. This right gives you the power to ask and introspect anything that deals with the nation or society.
Women also need to exercise this right and shall always keep themselves enlightened about what their rights and duties are! Here are some interesting facts from the constitution that Indian women need to know :
- A woman has equal right over her father’s monetary assets as much as her brother does. This is implied to all Hindu, Sikh, Jain and Buddhist followers.
- A woman can’t be arrested after sunset or before sunrise, even in the presence of a female constable. If arrest is urgent and important than the police should confirm through a written document from upper law bodies.
- A rape victim has full right to maintain confidentiality about her identity. Neither media nor police should recognize her identity by name or face or any other means, in public. If anybody does, they can be penalized.
- A woman has full right to lodge a complaints or FIR through an email or post in a nearby police station. She shall mail her grievance to the deputy commissioner of police and he shall further guide the area officer.
- A woman can claim for monthly expenditures according to the income of her partner when they decide to part ways, as per Hindu marriage act. This law is created to help women who are not financially independent.
- A woman does not need to visit a police station in lieu of interrogation, she has to be or can be interrogated at her residence in presence of a female constable and her family members or friends.