LONG DISTANCE RELATIONS – TIPS AND TRICKS
Long distance relationships are difficult, even for the most seasoned relationship experts. With globalization, today we have a lot of opportunities to expand our horizons and these horizons are not always local. It can be a job abroad or even in a different city. Working professionals today face the biggest challenge from long distance relationships, when they know that they can be transferred anytime. Putting your career or life on the back burner is not the solution. One must be take on such challenges in life. After all distance does make the heart grow fonder. When one decides to get into a long distance relationship with their partner, it is a choice one must make very carefully. If you have a similar challenge in life, here are a few tips and tricks to help you make your relationship successful.
The most important aspect of a long distance relationship is communication. Since you can’t date in the same city anymore, conveying your feelings to the other person can be difficult. But, with modern age came modern solutions. Today an internet connection is a necessity and it is indeed a necessity for long distance couples. Use messaging services like google hangouts, viber , snapchat and skype to keep in touch with your loved one. Best of all, it’s free. Just because you are in different cities does not mean you can be up to date with what is happening in your partner’s life. Discuss your day and your plans regularly.
Honesty is very important for any relationship, more so for long distance relationships. It is important to tell your partner exactly what you think. If you don’t, you will feel it weighing on you later. Even if you meet someone interesting or someone else makes a move on you, telling your partner will help you both. If your partner finds out about it later, which they generally do, they will question your reason for hiding it, leading to a fight.
Trust is fundamental to your relationship because, without trust there is nothing. One must be able to trust the other person, in order to avoid misunderstandings, fights and insecurities. You will not become a loner nor will your partner, you will meet new people regularly. Keeping your partner informed will help deal with all of this.
Before getting into a long distance relationship, you both need to be clear regarding the realities of the future. It is going to be tough and you need to lay down a plan for how you will deal with the problems, that both of you will face.
- Meeting regularly
If possible, try meeting once in two month or more. This can be difficult for people whose partners are abroad. You will need to be very tight with your finances in order to manage this but, it will be worth it. Maybe take a vacation together, that way you will get to enjoy quality time and explore new places as well.
Gifts and surprises keep the relationship interesting. When you are not with your partner, it is easy to not feel the connection. So, surprise them with gifts and small gestures that will let them know you are on their mind. All this is especially easy in the internet age.
- Be busy
An idle mind is the devils workshop. This is a very common saying and it is very true for long distance relationships. Do not give your mind time to wander and over analyze every conversation. Keep yourself busy with projects to distract yourself. This will be great for your personality as well as your relationship.
The tricks to survive a long distance relationship
There are various things that can help you win a long distance relationship. Here are some tricks collected from experience by the wise from all over the world.
- Invest in a good phone and get him to invest too. Since you will be spending all your time apart from each other communication will be difficult. But, with a nice mobile phone all that can be managed. In today’s world apps are handy and free. You can choose from a range of messengers and use their unique features to help you get closer to each other.
- Use whatsapp or any other messenger of your preference to share pictures of where you are, who you are with or what you are eating. This will make your partner feel like you are sharing your experiences with them as they happen. No need to feel left out. Similarly, share your experiences with them as well. It is not a one way street after all.
- Collect memories in the form of pictures or write letters to each other old school style and post it instead emailing it to them. This way you will have a handy collection of things to look at when you miss them.
- Use Snapchat to send each other small videos of you doing stuff or just smiling. Trust me it will brighten their day and add some flavor to your relationship. The best part it only takes 10 seconds. So, don’t be camera shy, take a selfie or just flaunt that smile. It will give him something to look forward to.
- Arrange for skype dates with your partner. Pick a time when both of you would be free, make yourselves a nice meal and maybe some wine and skype with your partner as if you are having dinner like usual. Don’t forget to dress up to make the date feel real. They are only as far as you want them to be.
- Be involved in their decisions. If they are buying a new phone, help them research. If they are choosing a new restaurant to visit, help them research that too. Keep in touch and discuss these things with them so you feel like you are on the same page.
- Make plans for the future together. Nothing is stronger than a couple that is striving for the same goal. Make small plans for the immediate future and work hard to achieve those goals.
- Support your partner, so what if you are far away from each other. If your partner is going for an interview or applying for a new job, be there to support them even if it is something as being their wake up call. Care enough to do that for them.
- Align your schedules to when you both are free and figure out when you can call each other. This is possible if you are aware of your partner’s schedule. Talk while travelling in cab or in the metro so you can spend your time more productively.