A world famous recipe from the kitchens of Punjab, this makes for a delicious and wholesome meal when served with chawal.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
3/4 cup rajma (kidney beans), soaked overnight
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
25 mm. (1″) stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 tbsp thinly sliced ginger (adrak)
2 green chillies, slit
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
1 1/2 tbsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
For the garnish
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Drain the water from the rajma, wash and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds and cinnamon.
- When they crackle, add the onions and sauté for a few minutes till they turn translucent.
- Add the ginger and green chillies and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add the soaked rajma, alongwith 3 cups of water, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- When the pressure is released, add the dry mango powder and black salt, mix well and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
by Tarla Dalal & www.tarladalal.com