We all know that it is next to impossible to break up with technology. Technology is our ultimate frenemy. Just as the popular saying that nothing comes for free, similarly, despite giving us incredible benefits such as connections, order conveniences, and worldwide information; technology takes away the sanity of our health. Dependence on technology is said to be the main cause of diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, insomnia and high cholesterol. You might be a gadget freak but you need to know how the gadgets lead to adverse effects on your bodies. In this article, we reveal ways in which your overuse of gadgets hurt your body and ways to tackle them.
- Eyes burn
You must have experienced dry eyes after using your laptops or computers for a very long period of time. It is called the dry eye syndrome. The bright screens have become a part of our daily lives but staring at them for too long leads to dry eyes, strain and headaches.
- Take a break after every 45 minutes of working on the computer.
- Stretch and relax your eyes after every 15 minutes.
- Stare at something that is 20 feet away from you for two seconds at an interval of 20 minutes ( The 20-20-20 rule)
- Hands Hurt
If you job demands you to type, text or browse on the computer for a very long period, then chances are that you will end up causing pain to your hands and wrists. This leads to acute wrist pains and loss of strength. People with such jobs are also prone to suffer from a syndrome called text claw syndrome in which the thumb muscle tendon swells due to overuse of gadgets.
- Take 5 minutes break after every hour of typing
- Give your wrists rest when you use the keyboard
- Dip your hands in warm water when you are at home (it increases the blood circulation)
Spending long hours in front of a computer can put great pressure on your lumbar discs and disrupt your body’s natural postures. Spondylitis, neck and back pain are all caused by the same reason.
- Only use a well-built chair that gives your spine proper support
- Include gentle neck and back stretching exercises
- Get up and move your legs after every hour of working on the computer
- Keep your desktop at eye level to decrease strain
- HEADACHES AND SKIN IRRITATION
Overuse of cell phones evidently causes headaches and skin irritation as the radiation from the phones cause oxidative stress on the body and its cells. These molecules influence the DNA and hamper your inner functioning and ultimately angry your body temperatures.
- Use your cell phones in specific time intervals.
- Switch off your phone two hours before sleep
- Do not reach out to your phone, the first thing in the morning
Mentioned above are the few problems related with overuse of gadgets. Do not let technology take over your life giving you so many health problems that are resultants of its usage. To combat the dependence of technology you should go on a vacation every three months gadget free. Also, do not keep your social life limited virtually. Remember, real social satisfaction will only come when you talk to someone in real. It will also help you relax and reduce stress.