Brown rice is way healthier than white rice. When making rice based desserts use brown rice for healthier option. The taste is a bit nutty and harder than the white rice. Brown rice has a tough layer and so it softens slower than the white rice. Please dont compare it with the mushiness of white rice when cooking, this will remain nutty and crisp in texture with some stickiness.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1 cup brown rice
5 cups milk
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
1 tbsp ghee
pinch of saffron (kesar) strands
2 tbsp condensed milk
2 cups grated carrot
- Soak brown rice in warm water for 24 hours.
- Now drain the rice completely, and heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Fry the rice in this ghee at medium flame for 5-6 min.
- Transfer the rice to pressure cooker and add 3 cups of water and pressure cook for two whistles.
- When the pressure ease off, add milk and carrot and simmer for 20-25 min stirring frequently in between.
- The milk should remain half of its quantity by now.
- Add cardamom, sugar and condensed milk and stir for 10 more min till the kheer thickens.
- Mix saffron with 2 tbsp of milk and add to this kheer, mix and turn off the flame.
- You can garnish with nuts, serve hot or chilled.
By tarladalal.com & Tarla Dalal