This healthier version of nachos will be any weight watchers delight. With as little as 100 calories per serving you’ll surely not miss the real thing. Remember it’s an occasional treat only. Crispy baked tortilla chips and the tangy tomato bean sauce make for a yummy, healthy treat, to be enjoyed occasionally by weight watchers.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Baking Time: 20 to 22 minutes
Baking Temperature: 190°C (380°F)
Makes 4 servings
For The Baked Tortilla Chips
For Tomato Bean Sauce (makes Approx. 1 1/2 Cups)
1 tsp olive oil or oil
2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
4 to 6 peppercorns (kalimirch)
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/2 cup boiled rajma (kidney beans)
2 tbsp tomato puree (optional)
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
For The Garnish
1/2 cup chopped spring onions (with the greens)
For the baked tortilla chips
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using warm water (approx 4 tbsp).
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a thin circle of 100 mm. (4”) diameter. Dust the tortillas generously with flour to make the rolling easier.
- Lightly cook the tortillas on a non-stick pan and cut each tortilla into 4 triangular pieces.
- Place half the tortilla pieces in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Bake at 190°c (380°f) for 7 to 8 minutes or until the chips turn light brown in colour and crisp.
- Repeat the step 5 and 6 to make for tortillas.
For the tomato bean sauce
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water.
- Peel, cut into quarters and deseed the tomatoes.
- Chop finely and keep the tomato pulp aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the bayleaves and peppercorns and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few more minutes. Sprinkle a little water to avoid the onions from burning.
- Add the tomato pulp and allow it to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce reduces a little.
- Add the rajma and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée, ketchup, sugar and salt and simmer for some more time.
- Add the oregano and mix well.
- Discard the bayleaves and peppercorns from the sauce, cool and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Place 4 tortilla chips in a large serving plate and spread ¼th of the tomato bean sauce evenly over it.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately garnished with the spring onions.
by Tarlal Dalal & www. tarlal Dalal