It may sound odd and rather lavish to use cashews as a main ingredient in gravies, but because of the abundance of cashews in the region, cashew curry is a popular and common recipe in each malvani household!
Makes 4 servings
For The Malvani Paste
10 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
2 tsp whole coriander (dhania) seeds
4 to 5 cloves (laung / lavang)
1/2 tsp black peppercorns (kali mirch)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp caraway seeds (shahjeera)
4 to 5 green cardamom (elaichi)
2 to 3 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
1 tbsp grated dry coconut (kopra)
1 tsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
2 star anise (chakri phool)
25 mm (1”) stick cinnamon (dalchini)
2 tbsp oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
For the malvani paste
- Heat a broad non-stick pan and dry roast the red chillies for a minute. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast the remaining ingredients, except the oil and onions for a minute or till they release aroma. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding enough water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent.
- Add the prepared malvani paste, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes till the oil separates. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Combine the cashewnuts and 1 cup of water in a broad pan and cook on a medium flame till the cashewnuts are tender. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and malvani gravy, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes or till the oil separates.
- Add the cashewnuts, sugar, coconut milk and salt, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with rice.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOU: