More and more people have become health conscious these days and while it is great to lose weight, there is something that you need to deal with and that is stretch marks. Stretch marks are ugly looking vein-like lines that appear on the skin as a result of sudden change in the body size. They are commonly seen on the arm pits, calves, thighs and even on the tummy. Stretch marks are what we see in the tummy of a mother who has just given birth to a baby.
Stretch marks are formed in the inner layers of the skin and hence, are hard to get rid of. They do not affect you in way but really look bad. Here are some easy tips that would help you to get rid of stretch marks.
Prevention is the best remedy
Here are few ways by which you can keep them away:
- Nourish your skin with skin-friendly foods like fruits that are rich in vitamin C like lemons, oranges, guavas etc., protein-rich food like soya, milk, eggs etc. and also essential fats contained in food items like almonds, walnuts, fish etc.
- It is important to stay hydrated as you tend to lose a lot of water when you are physically active. Drink at least 8-9 glasses of water and include a lot of fresh and juicy fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Exercise regularly. Even pregnant women should practice yoga after consulting the doctor.
Maintain a skincare regime
Start caring for your skin if you are about to have a baby or have just started a strict weight loss program. Here are few tips for that:
- Regular oil massages would keep your skin supple and soft. Consider a water-based moisturizer if you have oily skin. Go for creams that contain vitamin E and cocoa butter. Dry skin is more prone to stretch marks.
- If you want to use something natural then, go for a mixture of aloe vera and olive oil or you can also massage mustard, coconut or castor oil.
- Keep your skin exfoliated. Bathe using loofah or go for whole body exfoliation treatment in a good spa. This would expose the inner layers of the skin and help to get rid of the deal skin layer.
What to do when they start appearing?
There is no need to panic, when you see a couple of stretch marks on your skin. Here is what you can do to get rid of them:
- Maintain a consistent weight as too much of weight fluctuations can damage the skin.
- Make sure of applying enough skin-screen lotion on your skin when you step out of the house. Sunrays can lead to wrinkling and tanning. These would make the lines look more prominent.
- Take a piece of potato and immerse it in lemon juice and rub that potato on the affected skin. These have skin-lightening natural ingredients that would make the lines lighter and improve your skin tone.
Stretch marks can be frustrating but these tips can keep them at bay.