This winning combination of potatoes and fresh fenugreek leaves, in a dry curry form, is very common in every north indian home.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Makes 4 servings
1 1/2 cups peeled and boiled potato
4 cups fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tbsp chopped ginger (adrak)
2 whole dry red chillies , dry roasted and broken into pieces
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
4 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Wash the fenugreek leaves and chop them finely. Sprinkle some salt over them and keep aside for about half an hour.
- Squeeze out all the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the garlic, ginger, red chillies and salt.
- Add the potatoes and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, coriander powder, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Cook covered for 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Serve hot.
by Tarla Dalal & www.tarladalal.com