Bikaneri is known for its savoury snacks. Here is an authentic black pepper flavoured bikaneri farsaan, that can be stored for several days in airtight containers. While this is normally made from gram flour, you can also adapt it to use a variety of flours like moong, moath and even mashed potatoes.
Makes 8 servings
1/2 cup matki (moath beans) flour
1/2 cup besan (Bengal gram flour)
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper powder
1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
oil for deep-frying
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl, and mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Fill the dough in a “sev” press.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and squeeze the dough by hand through the “sev” press into the hot oil
- Deep fry the bhujias over a medium flame till it is cooked and golden brown in colour. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Repeat the steps 2 -4 till to make more bhujias till use. Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- You can add a combination of flours like moong, potatoes. Different varieties “sev press” are easily available in the market.
By tarladalal.com & Tarla Dalal
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOU: