Children, in Indian society, are seen as gifts of God. Swaddled in innocence, their playful nature warms the cockles of everyone’s heart. The reality, however, is not so fascinating. You might treat your child as a bundle of joy but not everyone perceives your child that way.
The incident of the 11-month-old baby allegedly raped for two hours by a 36-year-old construction worker in the locality of Vikaspuri in West Delhi a few days ago is making waves around the country. According to a survey conducted, 927 cases of child rape were registered in Delhi, last year, and at least three cases of rape took place every day in the national capital. When it comes to child safety, Delhi cuts a sorry figure. Read on to know more about who the perpetrators are and what makes them commit such crimes.
Who is a Pedophile? What is Pedophilia?
Pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction towards children. People suffering from this kind of a disorder are called pedophiles. These child molesters can be found everywhere and wait desperately to pounce on an innocent victim.
Identifying a pedophile
It is difficult to spot a pedophile. They come across as genuine people and it is very easy for them to hide their thoughts and real intentions.
- The startling fact is that most people are known to the children and family. In most of the cases, a family member is the main culprit.
- Most child molesters are men and target children of both the genders.
- Most child abusers gain the trust of children by offering them eatables and then getting very close to them.
- Child molesters make use of social media in order in order to identify their victims. Parents must refrain from posting their photos on Social networking sites.
- Children of single parents are targeted the most. They take advantage of the fact that children of single parents stay very busy and do not give a lot of attention to their kids.
- Making children show pornographic content is also a way of harassing the child.
How to protect the child?
Prevention is better than cure. You will never be able to undo the ravages done to your child’s physical and mental health. There are numerous ways to protect the child from such perpetrators. Always remember that your child is not old enough to make a clamor against such an act. There is always a shroud of silence that accompanies such heinous crimes. Parents, in this case, need to play a proactive role in ensuring safety of their kids.
Sensitizing your kids
Talk to your child about pedophiles. Brief them about good touch and bad touch.
Be a friend
It is important that you share a healthy bond with your kid. He should be able to confide in you about anything that he feels is amiss.
- Keeping a track of your child’s behavioral changes is another way of figuring out if your child is safe.
- Remain in touch with your child’s bus driver. Know about his background. Attend his PTA meetings on a regular basis. Your kid’s safety should be your utmost priority.
- You might be slogging day and night trying to complete those assignments but try not to keep your kid in the custody of strangers.
It is very sad to know that the society has come a cropper in helping its most innocent creatures lead a dignified life. The issue has been brushed under the carpet for many years but it is time to acknowledge this conundrum, talk about it so that our children lead a happy childhood.