- Peel and deseed the pumpkin. Using a melon scooper, scoop out balls from the pumpkin.
- Prick each pumpkin ball with a fork at close intervals.
- Rub the slaked lime on the pumpkin balls and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Wash the pumpkin balls thoroughly. Drain and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, combine the sugar and yellow food colouring with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off any impurities floating on the surface, using a slotted spoon.
- Add the pumpkin balls and cook on high flame for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the fire. Cool completely.
- Drain form the sugar syrup and roll the petha balls in desiccated coconut.
- Cool completely.
- VARIATION : ANGOORI PETHA PIECES
- Cut the pumpkin into 25 mm. (1″) squares and then folow the above recipe from step 2. Do not roll in desiccated coconut.
- VARIATION : PETHA SLICES
- Slice the pumpkin into thin slices (approx. 15 to 20 slices) using a wafer slicer and then follow the above recipe from step 2.
- Do not roll in desiccated coconut.