Garlic rasam brings a nice garlic flavour to the other wise tangy rasam recipe. The garlic paste adds to the zing of this tomato based lentil soup recipe and is best enjoyed as soup or with steamer rice.
Makes 4 servings
10 to 12 garlic (lehsun) cloves
2 tsp oil
2 to 3 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
8 to 9 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 cup tamarind water
1 tsp ghee
2 to 3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and saute till they turn golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the coriander seeds, chana dal, red chillies, cumin seeds and curry leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Remove, cool and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Boil the tamarind water in a deep pan till raw taste disappears.
- Add the sauteed garlic and ground masala, mix well and simmer on a slow flame for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee and add the red chillies and saute for 1 minute.
- Add this to the rasam, mix well and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
By tarladalal.com & Tarla Dalal
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR YOU: